Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Netflix vs. Blockbuster











I'm doing the 2 week free trial of Netflix. So far so good. I added movies to my queue yesterday, and they came today. Very nice! I am on the 4 DVD's at a time. I just recently did the 2 week free trial for Blockbuster and I really enjoyed that. Blockbuster is trying to convert Netflix people with their new "Total Access" program.

Just like Netflix, you rent online, DVD's are delivered in the mail, but when you are done, you can mail them back, or bring them to Blockbuster in exchange for any movie right then and there.
Netflix needs to combat that... and in the next 6 months, they will. Between now and 6 mo. from now, Netflix will offer "View Now." It's a kind of "movie surfing." You can watch any movie they have, streaming from the site.

I like that idea. I can either watch the whole thing, or just see parts of movies to see if I really want to rent that movie! If you are on the $10 a month plan, you get 10 hours of video to watch... if you are on the $18... get the idea?
Are you on either plan? Let me know what you think. Why do you like the one you chose?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do Netflix after continual disappointment at Blockbuster. If you plan ahead a little, Netflix works great. I cannot see an advantage to bringing movies back to Blockbuster for an instant exchange - if they didn't have them before, they won't have them now. We do the 2 a month plan which is fine.

Mike said...

Yeah, I see what you mean. I tried Blockbuster and Netflix trials in the past and was happier with Netflix. But I'm trying them again (shh!) and I like Blockbuster better.

Although, I do like Netflix better for more docmentaries and indipendent films. Blockbuster only has the big stuff usually. Like "Snakes on a Train." (Yes, Snakes on a train, look it up!)

Netflix is a little slow on my shipping right now. I don't like that...