Friday, September 29, 2006

Then why not just get an SUV!?

This morning, I was walking across the lower lot at ORU and happen to see this yellow Dodge Viper RT/10. I have heard of other sightings made by my fiance (that's so weird to say!) and by my brother and my roommate. But this time, I got to see it. So I decided to get a better look.

I had a temp tag in the back window and it was more clean than anything I can imagine. Ok, not that clean, but very clean none the less. There was a little brake dust on those big monster wheels but that's about it. As I was walking
around the car soaking it all in, I heard the doors/alarm shut off. So the owner must be close. I waited a second then spotted him. I told him I liked his car but I also like the Lotus Elise. He said he was looking for an Elise until he drove the Viper. He said nothing compares. Ok, I have never driven a Viper or even rode in one, but I do know this.

Actually, wait a second. I don't know the year of it, but it looked to be between a 93 and a 96. I checked the 0-60 times for the Viper RT/10 and it gave 4.5 for the 93 and 5.0 for the 96. Um... doesn't the Elise cover the same ground in about 4.6? Yeah! But wait the Viper has between 400-450 hp and the Elise only has 190. Something isn't right...

It must be the weight. The Viper weighs around 3400 lbs and the Elise is only around 1900. That's a little bit of a difference. Also, in Motor Trend, the Viper goes through their slalom course at 68.1mph while the Elise goes through at 73.2mph. The $193,000 Track Ready Ferrari Challeng Stradale goes through at 72.7mph. Hmm...

Ok, you may be wondering what I am so upset about. Well, as I was leaving the Viper and it's owner, I asked him if he has ever been to the track (race track). He said no and I told him I went with a buddy in a Lotus Elise. I asked if he was interested. He said no. He doesn't want to burn up tires or go too fast. He did that with his M3 already (so he says). He said that it's scary enough as it is. Now, if he is reading this, then please don't take this the wrong way, but you're wrong. Scary enough as it is... ever drive an Elise through traffic?












That's scary. The Viper and the Elise have similar specs, except for the top speed obviously, but the Elise doesn't even try to be about speed, it's about the handling. And it still pulls 4.6 seconds in 0-60! The Lotus is much smaller so that even a VW Beetle looks huge next to you on the highway. I get hit by a Hummer... ok, bad example. I get hit by a car or something, the Elise is done. You get hit by the same thing, that 3500 lb monster will protect you a little more.

Also, I love Vipers! That's not my problem. My problem is just this, if you buy a fast car I really think that you should take it to a track, a controlled environment, and see what it can do. You can go fast legally and safely instead of risking your neck on the street. I understand that some people just want to "baby" their cars, I completely understand that. But only if it of some antique value or something. But to buy this fast car and not use it to it's potential seems silly to me. To his credit, he has been there done that with another car, but since this is a different car, I think he should take this out too! Oh well, that's just one mans opinion.

I'll leave you with this quote:


But the fact is, remove straight-line grunt from the equation, and the Elise 111 R is a more rewarding steer than the Ferrari. Savour the moment. Cars that change your life view don't come along every day.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: