Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sorry about the lack of posts!

Hey everyone!

I'm back! Sorry it's been so long, but I can explain.

Last week, at around 1:25am (Sunday), so late Saturday night, my roommate and I were walking back to our dorm when we thought it would be fun to slide around on the ice. It's like ice skating without the ice skates. We weren't even really goofin around, we were just running then sliding on the ice by our dorm. After a few runs, I decided to run one more time and I did. Then all I remember is starting to fall backwards then I woke up in an ambulance with someone sticking a needle in my hand.

Whoa!

They saw me come to and the EMT's said, "Michael, you're in an ambulance. They said that they found you outside having a seizure on the ice."

I was thinking "What? Did they just say what I thought they said? I don't have seizures. What was I doing outside? Who said this? Is this a dream?"

Then they said they were taking me to the hospital. I noticed that they stuck another needle in my forearm. It didn't really hurt. Then they put a neck brace on my and strapped me down nice and tight to the stretcher.

I started thinking again, "Is this really happening? Who are these people? Think Mike! Think! What happened!?"

I started talking to the EMT's, just trying to show them that I am ok and everything. I started to remember what happened. I told them that my roommate and I were sliding around and I must have fell. They told me that I was out for about half an hour.

I got to the hospital and eventually my roommate was able to come see me. He said that I slipped, fell, had a seizure for about a minute, was unresponsive for 5-10 minutes, then was still unconscious but acted as if I was sleeping or something.

I got all checked out, MRI, Xray on my neck, 2 check ups and so far so good. It's been a week now, so I guess it's all better now. But that's my story. I hope you believe me. I had the knot on my head to prove it, but it's gone now. I also have a small bruise on my hand and arm where they stuck me.

Everyone was great about it as well. My RA, my roommate, my old roommate, and my girlfriend all followed the ambulance to the hospital and were really great in helping me out the days after wards. I have a lot of people praying for me, I know, and I really appreciate you all. This could have been really, really bad, but thankfully, it wasn't. My family sent me a care package, Jenni (girlfriend) got me some stuff to cheer me up and I had a lot of people pray for me that I have never met before.

I was a little depressed for just a few days and I think that's because things are hard to deal with when faced with the harsh reality of mortality. I could have died, it's as simple as that. And I wasn't even acting like a total idiot, I was just sliding around. But it happens. I am all better now though. It's nice to know that everyone cares about you, but I hope you don't have to experience all that just to see what people think about you. I have to run now, I'll try and post again later!

4 comments:

Nick said...

Yeah i got some people at work to pray for you and all that.

You and elliott have a lot in common we mabey not but you both hit your head and that can be enough.

Nathan said...

Mike! That's a crazy story! I'm glad you're ok. Be sure to send me the link to your video blog when it's ready!

-NA

Anonymous said...

Nick had informed me about the whole situation, so my prayers are with you man.
My mom dropped me on my head once, actually all my hair is falling out in the spot that experienced the most trauma.

Anonymous said...

At least, as you say, you weren't acting like a 'total' idiot... Nick did a good job keeping us updated about your situation. And it seems that Kocher's mom dropped him all over his head...