Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Neutral Bouyancy

"The sea does not belong to despots. Upon its surface men can still exercise unjust laws, fight, tear one another to pieces, and be carried away with terrestrial horrors. But at thirty feet below its level, their reign ceases, their influence is quenched and their power disppears. Ah! sir, live - live in the bosom of the waters! There only is independence! There I recognise no masters! There I am free!" --- Captain Nemo in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne.

I have just recently been dying to SCUBA diving, as I think I already mentioned... but it's getting worse! I got some books on SCUBA diving and there are so many great pictures that I wish I was in or could take them!

I think the main reason I am so drawn to SCUBA diving is... well... I can't really explain it. It is one of the most relaxing things I have ever done, aside from sleeping. I love how pretty much the only thing you hear is the bubbles and your breathing from the regulator and maybe a far off boat starting up, but for the most part, it's pretty much silent. It can be so serene. I know, I know... I have only dove in a pool and a lake with 2 feet of visibility, but I loved every second of it. Especially the lake, seeing fish and old trees in the water...

You know, I used to want to be an astronaut, and since I can't do that, I think that SCUBA diving is the closest I'll ever get to being in space and floating. So instead of an astronaut, I'm an "aquanaut!" That's fine with me!

I think that for my honeymoon, Jenni & I will go to Maui, well, I haven't told her yet, but I don't think she will object. I found this great, well, maybe not great, but good enough, deal for lodging and Jeep rental, SCUBA/snorkel diving, and other stuff for $675 per person for 7 days, anyway, HERE is the link. Also, the link for the Dive Shop, Maui Dive Shop is HERE.

Yesterday, before I came home from work, I stopped at the Library and had a great time, got like a million books on digital photograhy and even used the new self checkout machine! Then, I came home, jumped in the pool with my mask and snorkel and explored! Then I got the vacuum and cleaned the pool underwater. I felt like I was an underwater welder or something! Well, I better get going, after teaching the second installment of mountain biking in Royal Rangers I may do some night swimming, if it's still hot... Well, See ya!

No comments: